, or rather indeed looks like it'll be more suitable for my personal blog plans as it's more versatile, so I think I'll try to convert the (unpublished) posts I'd already written in , to tomorrow.

I especially like how I can use the [%collapsible] block for content-warnings, which in output will get replaced by summary/details tags, without actually having to include those tags manually in my Markdown document.

Though I'll probably tweak it a bit more with my own custom block processor.
For one, I'd rather have the block called 'CW' or 'ContentWarning' rather than 'collapsible', as it's more descriptive.
Aside from that, since it's a content warning, I kinda want to load the actual contents from a separate include file. That way the source files can more easily be read without being subjected to content you'd rather avoid.

Right, @Siiw is taking for a walk, so I have some time to myself to blast music (currently listening to ), while working on that to conversion.
Should probably also look into how well this library integrates with .

Anyone here know if there's a way to make support style footnotes[^¹], as I'm not that fond of in-line footnotes?

I mean, the whole thing about *foot*notes to me is that their content is at the bottom, so they don't distract from the text I'm currently reading.
Sure, this is the case in the output with 's inline , but not in its source.

(pinging @ljwrites)

[^¹]: see kramdown.gettalong.org/quickre for an example

:fn1: See asciidoctor.org/docs/asciidoc- as an example

The closest I've found so far is defining the footnote text in a variable.footnote:fn1[{fn1}], but that means it needs to be defined *before* the actual reference to the footnote, and having my footnote texts at the top also feels wrong...

The verbosity of the .footnote:id[footnote text] format also feels way too verbose.

@FiXato You can simplify that a bit by making the whole footnote syntax a variable, asciidoctor.org/docs/user-manu though that doesn't do much for the problem of defining the footnote before the text it's annotating :/

@ljwrites ahh, I hadn't actually thought of making the entire footnote a variable!
That does help with the legibility.

The footnotes in the header (or paragraph, I guess?) are still annoying, but perhaps moving them to a separate include file will suffice if it annoys me too much.¨

Thanks for this tip!

Now to think about what I want to do with the hashtags I tend to use in my posts... I think I'll end up using my own pre-processor, at least till I figure out how to write my own substitution.

@FiXato You can define variables inline if you want to, say directly before the paragraphs they're supposed to appear in. It's generally good practice to keep variables together in the header I guess, but they can also be defined/redefined later on as in many languages. Of course, if you want to keep them all together in a non-header location the best route is probably to keep them in an include file as you say. Will the hashtags be included in the body of the post? If this is for your blog, the #Jekyll plugin for AsciiDoc seems to have some options for tag handling. github.com/asciidoctor/jekyll-

@FiXato Oh, and if it becomes tedious to keep typing footnote: in your variables, don't forget you can include other variables in variables, say by shortening "footnote:" to the variable {fn}!

Follow

@ljwrites oh! That'll certainly be helpful, thanks!

Good to read too that there's a plugin for . Hadn't come as far as integrating into Jekyll yet. :)

At first glance the produced by does not seem to be the most semantic though... especially all those <div class="sect1"> and <div class="paragraph"> seem to be rather.... superfluous? I guess I might need to look into custom templates...

@FiXato Yeah I remember a post by someone who used a different template for cleaner HTML. Oh, here it is! ratfactor.com/hugo-adoc-html5s

@ljwrites ohhh, that looks promising! Will have to give that a try!

@ljwrites yes, just re-rendered it with adoc-html5s, and that looks a lot nicer! Thanks once again!

@ljwrites now to convert the other posts I had already written, and see what other issues I run into. :)
And then maybe I'll finally get set up the way I want to so I can actually publish the damn thing, lol.

@FiXato from markdown/kramdown? Will you be setting up a conversion script?

@ljwrites yeah, from kramdown.
I only have written a handful of posts so far, so I'll just do it manually. :)

Though if I want to import posts from my archives, I might write a conversion script for that.

@FiXato oh you backed up from G+? Good thinking. I hope more people bring back their posts from there.

@ljwrites tbh, I do not quite know yet which direction I want to go with the hashtags in my posts. Being able to later on find blog posts that reference them is one part indeed.
The pre-processor I wrote earlier today does dump any hashtag it encounters in the post, in a :referenced_hashtags: variable in the header, as well as turning them into links to mastodon.social/@FiXato/tagged, so one can look up related toots:
code.fixato.org/asciidoc-prepr

Here's my current HTML output: fixato.org/blogs/asciidoc-test

Sign in to participate in the conversation
Mastodon

Server run by the main developers of the project 🐘 It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!