@Gargron Suggestion: Rather than AUTO-following the new account, it instead adds it to a new list of New-Account Notifications, in the same place the list of Follow Requests are for locked accounts:
- Limits the risk of malicious usage, because it is an active decision
- Makes new follow EXPLICIT rather than IMPLICIT
- (a) People might dismiss it because they don't care, so not all followers will transfer
- (b) People will have to know to look there
- for (a) I'm... not sure that's.. bad?
- for (b) people will remind their followers to look at their New-Account Notifications like they now remind their followers to follow their new accounts, except this will cause them to remember EVERYONE, not just that one person
@Gargron (There's probably a better name than "New-Account Notidications" for the list.)
@Gargron As an instance admin, I support the Move feature in principle, and I figure we can find rate limiting options that will work target and/or source side to mitigate the risk.
I think ease of movement around the Fediverse is really important.
@Gargron is there a way of always remembering the old and new accounts as linked, or the same, so steps 2 to 5 just don't need to happen?
But doesn't this work already by messaging ones followers whenever I'm moving to a new account?
Or am I missing something?
Follow friends and discover new ones. Publish anything you want: links, pictures, text, video. This server is run by the main developers of the Mastodon project. Everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!