How to migrate from one Mastodon server to another without losing followers:
1. Sign up on new server
2. On NEW server: Go to Account -> Moving FROM another account
3. Enter old account's handle
4. On OLD server: Go to Account -> Moving TO another account
5. Enter new account's handle and submit
Note that this does NOT migrate posts! Which I would argue are more important than followers - you can do followers manually. Posts, you're out of luck.
@bob You know, I've heard of Hubzilla, but I'm not entirely sure what it is. Didn't know it's connected to the fediverse, that's cool!
@Gargron As addition for people trying this: Sometimes, the old server happens to have old data fetched. This means, it doesn't have the newest account data of the new account. This might result in the error that the new account doesn't properly refer back to the old one.
In this case, do a simple search for your user URL(!) (e.g. https://chaos.social/@esureL) to update the data and then try again. :)
@Gargron Logged on to my mastodon.social account on a web browser.
Went to Account Settings -> Account Migration -> Move to a different Account
@Gargron Damn! Hit Toot! Too soon!
Ok, logged into my mastodon.social account
Went to Account Settings -> Account Migration -> Move to a different account.
Entered Handle of the new Account
Entered the Password if the Current (mastodon.social) account
Tells me my mastodon.scot Account is not back referencing this account.
@Gargron of cause this only works when both servers are on mastodon 3+ and all the followers are too, unfortunately there are still a lot on earlier versions
6. Find out several instance admins of your followers/followees have previously blocked your new instance for dubious reasons and you can no longer communicate with them, with no indication that the links are broken :(
@Gargron Cómo migrar de un servidor Mastodon a otro sin perder seguidores:
1. Regístrese en el nuevo servidor
2. En EL NUEVO servidor: Vaya a Cuenta -> Moverse DESDE otra cuenta
3. Introduzca el identificador de la cuenta antigua
4. En el servidor OLD: Vaya a Cuenta -> Mover a otra cuenta
5. Introduzca el identificador de la nueva cuenta y envíela
For friends in Japan and especially on the instance of mstdn.jp @mstdn_jp. I feel sorry to hear the bad news. I would like to reference to Eugen @Gargron 's toot as an instruction to migrate your important Mastodon accounts.
Eugen's post => https://mastodon.social/@Gargron/103393780267601137
More information on Docs.JoinMastodon.Org => https://docs.joinmastodon.org/user/moving/
( If someone has already translated the migration instruction into Japanese, that would be much helpful. )
Take care! We stand solidarity with you.
Server run by the main developers of the project It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!