Follow

I bought a new, larger frying pan. Was looking at cast iron ones because they're held in such a high regard on Mastodon but they're really expensive and heavy and I probably don't cook well enough to really get the value out of them anyway.

@Gargron
1. don't buy a cast iron pan because some fanatics online tell you they're the best
2. don't pay a lot of money for a cast iron pan. go to a flea market and get one on the cheap

@Gargron it all depends on the what you're gonna be using it for

I like it for like .. bacon, or things I will also stick in the oven to finish cooking

@revolverocelot @Gargron They're also good to get crazy hot for a good sear on a steak.

@NathanClayton @Gargron yeah I mostly just whip mine out for steak but it's been too hot to heat up the stove that much

@Gargron Consider getting an enameled cast iron Dutch oven instead? They're even heavier, but not *that* expensive (Aldi US has one that comes around periodically, Le Creusets are totally overrated) and you can use them in a pinch for most stuff you'd use a skillet for anyway plus hey, Dutch oven, you can deep-fry in it, make no-knead bread in it, slow-cook in it, whatever. And enameled isn't as fussy as plain cast iron.

@Gargron If you, like me, prefer a pan that you can get water on without subsequently having to use steel wool to get rust off of the pan, do not get a cast iron pan.

If you want to get fancy, watch for a sale on the Calphalon Anodized stuff, or something like that. I did that and those pans are great, last forever, and aren't fussy diva princesses pretending to be lumberjacks.

@Gargron You can find decent ones on Amazon for around $30. That's where I got mine, and it works really well for my needs (I'm no chef either, lol)

@Gargron Are the cast iron ones really that expensive? They but also more maintenance. If you're looking for low maintenance long lasting, then other options are usually as expensive.

@maxheadroom @Gargron in theory you could make your own cast iron for pretty cheap but it'll probably not be of a very good quality.

@Gargron Stone? The problem with cast iron is that if you're not using it constantly, they rust. Then there's a special way to remove the rust. Too much work.

@Gargron

I'd say if you spent more than $40 on a cast iron pan, you've been had 😆

As any hobby or interest, you can make it as expensive as you want.

I've got 3 cast iron pans that are used probably 80% of the time I need to cook. The other 20% of the time it's stainless steel pans which I use for things like pasta and sauces.

@Gargron

Go for it, it‘s going to last forever!
Better than buying 10 cheap ones and throwing them away;)

Dear fediverse, we need to

You know what to do

(please boost)

@Gargron I have a heavy cast-iron wok and the only downside is our sink is kinda small so it's a pain to wash (a pleasure to cook tho)
(I admit I didn't buy it tho, it was a gift, friend who was moving out left it for me <3)

@Gargron I don't use the cast iron pan just yet, but apparently they can last decades or 100+ years so this could justify the price tag I guess. I'm reading some comments about rusting, so not sure about the maintenance. I've found an article which could be useful -> seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-tr

@Gargron
A good frying pan does not have to be cast iron. But cheap pans are often thin gauge metal. After a few months of usage the bottom warps and food does not cook evenly. At least buy a good brand name.

@Gargron I bought a 10'' iron skillet with iron lid off barebonesliving.com for pretty cheap. Looks like their prices went up a bit. I payed like 30 something for it.
Cool thing about cast iron is they're easy to clean and last forever. Not too mention they can go from stove to oven to open flame. Really good long lasting steel type skillets are expensive. Plus they would never look too good on a campfire.

@Gargron For next one I'd recommend a carbon steel pan.
They're lighter and more often reasonably priced (likely because they get less attention so manufacturers don't inflate the price) but should also last a very long time.
Also like cast iron they need to be seasoned before use and you need to clean and hand dry them right after using. And while seasoning is a one time thing if you're the kind to forget food / dirt on the pan neither is a great option.

@Gargron Also most of the seasoning advice both online and by manufacturers is plain wrong.

Here's a good, if long, advice:
sherylcanter.com/wordpress/201

Sign in to participate in the conversation
Mastodon

Server run by the main developers of the project 🐘 It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!