1. Most VPNs use outdated encryption
2. Most keep logs and sell your data, but of those that claim not to - you have no way to verify that
3. Most lie about their own geolocation
4. All providers target users interested in privacy b/c it's those users who have the most interesting traffic. VPN = honeypot
5. Providers can see all your traffic. The only encrypted part of the connection is you to the VPN
6. VPN is privacy by policy, not by design
It's the little things that make #mastodon great: write your own profile metadata, write and use your own bot, set profile pic as .gif #Privacy perks like: hide app you use, hide followers/following, adjust privacy of each toot, no ads, and each toot you send is not feeding the data monster of some giant corporation :)
If the #Quaznet domain ever suffers a breach, anyone will be able to view the "encrypted" personal info of #Kazakhstan internet users inc. credit card details and passwords unencrypted, thanks to their government's dangerous attempt at a MITM attack. Luckily, installing the certificate is optional, so do not do it!
Server run by the main developers of the project It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!