I have been completely removed from Facebook for a full year. It has been the best year in recent memory. OBSERVATIONS:
1) I'm still "connected" to current events. I'm just not bombarded with a thousand "rage-bait" rants about it.
2) I'm still connected with everyone that matters. We've shared the responsibility of staying in touch. Sometimes it's on me to reach out, sometimes it's on them. The people who haven't kept up with me, were just a relationship of ceremony and convenience.
3) I'm substantially less depressed. Surprising no one, I guess. It didn't cure depression, but it alleviated that which it brought: A lot.
4) I'm still super social online. I have community here and a few other places. We do things together, and don't just try to whip ourselves into a fury.
5) I've gained a meaningful perspective: *MY* perspective. Getting away from the manipulative pieces of those social media sites has given me enough clarity to be, well... "me."
Anyone know of an ActivityPub powered Facebook alternative?
#diaspora never really took off in mainstream it seems.
"We found that at least 61 percent of apps we tested automatically transfer data to Facebook the moment a user opens the app. This happens whether people have a Facebook account or not, or whether they are logged into Facebook or not."
Investigating Apps interactions with Facebook on Android | Privacy International
Question regarding @pixelfed: Is it possible as a user, to create private albums that only I can see?
So my home server died on my last night (corrup filesystem), so I have been thinking hard if the server is actually required here at home.
Concluded that it's not, but I still want a few "nice-to-haves" like a #Jellyfin server.
So I'm gonna try and set that up, in a way that is very easy to recover if something balls up again!
If the Moon Were Only 1 Pixel - A tediously accurate map of the solar system http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html
Time for another teaser.
I have been working on a way to install #ManjaroARM directly on an SD/eMMC card with a form of netinstaller.
And I am proud to say that its getting there.
The goal is to have a script that installs current packages, directly to the card, from ANY Linux distro!
I have tried to keep the dependencies to basic unix software.
So far, tests are going great!
The Trump wall gofundme is at $12M and it's only been 4 days.
Our goal is only $50k. We've been campaigning for 5 months to get clean water to Flint.
Great work by everybody!
MX Linux 18 "Continuum" is available.
Follow friends and discover new ones. Publish anything you want: links, pictures, text, video. This server is run by the main developers of the Mastodon project. Everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!