You don't need to use link shorteners on Mastodon. All links count as 23 characters no matter how long they really are.
Also, links on Mastodon stay in the form you wrote them. This is much better for privacy than Twitter.
Twitter quietly changes all posted links to go via Twitter's domain t.co so they can track people. This doesn't happen on Mastodon or the Fediverse.
You can see this hidden conversion in Twitter by hovering your mouse over a link there, the link appears to show a normal address but Firefox and other browsers will indicate the true t.co address in the bottom left corner of the screen. If you try this same check on Mastodon or the Fediverse, you will see your links stay just as you wrote them.
If you want to, you can move your Mastodon account to another instance.
Moving lets you take your followers, follows and settings with you.
1. Create a new account on the instance you want to move to, but do not delete the old account
2. Log into your NEW account, and go to Edit Profile > Moving From A Different Account, click on "create an account alias" and follow the instructions
3. Log into your OLD account, and go to Edit Profile > Move To A Different Account, click on "configure it here" and follow the instructions
4. On your OLD account, go to Preferences > Import and Export > Data Export and download the settings and follows lists
5. On your NEW account, go to Preferences > Import and Export > Import and upload the lists you just downloaded in the previous step
...your old account will now redirect to the new one, and your follows and followers will transfer automatically (there may be a short delay as this happens).
Well, looks like Planet Earth has now started gradually entering 2022... 🌏 🌍 🌎
I don't know if it is wise to make predictions in the current circumstances, but nevertheless hope you have a happy new year! 🎉
Whatever you're doing to celebrate, whether it's putting mentos in bottles of pepsi, or the countdown on Animal Crossing, or maybe even watching fireworks, hope you have fun and stay safe! 🍾 🥂 ❤️
You can connect WordPress blogs to the Fediverse by using the ActivityPub plugin:
The plugin lets people on Mastodon etc. follow your blog as well as share and comment on your blog posts.
The author of the plugin is @pfefferle
NASA's Webb Telescope Launches to See First Galaxies, Distant Worlds http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasas-webb-telescope-launches-to-see-first-galaxies-distant-worlds #NASA #Breaking #News #Bot
Mastodon & Fediverse admins!
Be aware, there's a bot signing up for vast numbers of accounts on mstdn.social and the admin @stux has been trying their best to deal with it.
Stux has compiled a list of domains that are recommended for blocking, especially the root domains:
#JoinFediverseWiki is almost ready for it's official launch in 8 days.
Right now I'm gathering feedback from people who are not deep into the Fediverse yet.
What you can do to help:
* #boost this post.
* show the wiki to your non-fedizen friends and forward me their feedback.
* of course you can give me feedback yourself even if you're a Fediverse veteran.
* help edit the wiki. For now I wrote almost everything myself.
Happy holidays everybody. 🎉
Here are a few easy ways that I've experienced (and enjoyed) myself:
- Help train #mozilla's #commonvoice #deepspeech recognition engine with your own voice and ears!
- Improve #openstreetmap data either via their website's editor or an app such as #streetcomplete.
- Translate #foss using the platform #crowdin (this morning I translated for #pixelfed!).
Senfcall.de is a FOSS-based video conferencing site which aims to provide a privacy-friendly alternative to proprietary services. You can follow them at:
➡️ @senfcall (in German and English)
Calls are made within the web browser using the libre BigBlueButton system.
Aside from "XMPP is old" I don't see any reason to favour Matrix. I also don't see XMPP being around long enough to have a strong ecosystem that's constantly built on to be a bad thing.
From a #selfhosting perspective XMPP is far easier to run as well.
For E2EE they both use OMEMO.
And ofc it's in the name, XMPP is extensible.
Software Engineer. Open source enthusiasts. Video games.
The original server operated by the Mastodon gGmbH non-profit