Show more
e boosted

The year is 2025

There are five browser cores:
- webkit
- chromium
- gecko
- servo
- youtube-dl, which ended up implementing a full-fledged browser in python to keep successfully downloading videos

It just sucks finding an interesting program and realizing it uses WebKit or Blink somewhere, because to build them you need to have Ruby installed on your system, which I have no use for at all.

And, since Gentoo doesn't have any pre-compiled binaries for those dependencies, I just can't do anything but not install the program.

The last thing it rendered was actually me testing it out on my current rig to make sure it still worked, a couple months to half a year ago.

(Probably still works unless static electricity or dust killed it)

Show thread

RIP the card that ran until 2014-early 2015 rendering Minecraft 1.2.5 on a 1366x768 display.

Also the one that was with me through learning Linux in VMs and eventually dual booting Ubuntu 14.04, and Arch down the line.

Your work will be remembered.

ok, WHAT?

I tried changing the directory I stored the temporary files in, thinking "maybe they have some special handling for /tmp"

NOPE. still doesn't want to work.

also, it's definitely totally random which pages it decides to kill, as it changed yet again.

I should move this over to my own CI, screw GH

Show thread

Now it's up to two pages not working, and it seems like it doesn't write (or removes??) some temporary files required

Show thread

A single page of my blog is down due to GitHub Actions being dumb and deciding my static site generator with the exact same config that works on my machine doesn't want to work on theirs.

The worst part? That page is treated EXACTLY THE SAME as two other pages, that WORK WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS?!

Argh, it has been a week or so since I released the first version of my static site generator and I still have to port my own blog over to it.

Not because it's hard or anything, I'm just lazy.

This is mostly so I don't forget after reformatting, but if there's anyone here who has a Logitech M560 and wants their thumb buttons to work on browsers in Linux, this is the command you need:

xinput set-button-map "Logitech Wireless Mouse M560" 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 8 9

(The numbers are intentional)

update: IT BOOTS with F2FS

gonna try encrypting now, I don't really see any reason why it won't work, but that's what I said the last time too

Show thread

"let's just add some system apps before testing it what can possibly ever go wrong"

Show thread

update: IT BOOTS

i was just absolutely stupid and didn't read up on the Android makefile stuff, which didn't rename some files in a way I wanted.

The problem? This was an error on my own additions, and not on the base LOS system

Show thread

update: FINALLY GOT A LOGCAT

now let's see what the actual issue is

Show thread

last update of the day: backup successfully restored. it boots and unlocks, i assume most other functionality work as well, but it's temporary, still

i'll deal with 17.1 tomorrow

Show thread

update: I decided to call it quits for today. Cleaned out the LOS output directory and am currently building from scratch.

while that's happening, i'm trying to restore a system image backup, which will hopefully get me a semi-useable phone for the time being

Show thread
Show more
Mastodon

Server run by the main developers of the project 🐘 It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!