human energy technologies, a medley
(1) set living things on fire
(2) feed some living things to other living things and make them pull and lift stuff
(3) put a wheel in the way of moving wind or water
(4) set the remains of distant dead ancestors on fire
(5) put a lot of dangerous rocks together in one place until they get more dangerous and really hot
(6) use the sun to lift and stack heavy things, and then drop them later
@aparrish See Vaclav Smil for very good treatment of this. "Energy & Civilization" is his latest. Many books on energy systems, quite solid.
@aparrish I think the last might be better put as:
(6) let the sun shine so that it heats up water or hits certain metals
Energy storage can be chemical or mechanical and can be used for lots of different energy generation outputs, but solar water heating and photovoltaics are pretty distinct on their own.
Seems *really*neat. Concrete isn't the moat environmentally friendly material, and part of me wonders if there isn't a better option than machine vision etc. Probably not, while keeping costs down low. It also presumably at risk of disruption from earthquakes.
Server run by the main developers of the project It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!