Alrightie, I wrote that "Welcome to Mastodon: Here's what's different and why it's better" article https://medium.com/@Gargron/welcome-to-mastodon-111d9227e56a
Please enjoy this picture of my cat, Commodore McFluffins. 🐱 https://mastodon.social/media/US0qkFJgqrGIfInSrk8
@Gargron constantly surprised by all the little touches in here - just noticed the avatar's border hover animation on a user column. :thumbsup:
So, debating value of using direct via mastodon.social, vs. setting up my own and federating.
- Already done, no add'l setup
- don't have to import/export follow data (not that there's much yet)
- visibility problem? don't understand site federation.
- too many people on one site = bad.
- The whole idea of it being decentralized is that I don't have to rely on just one platform
- It becomes specifically mine
- work to set up and learn
The original server operated by the Mastodon gGmbH non-profit