* Full support for non-touch interaction methods, including support for physical keyboards, but with touch being there as well
* As far as how much hardware performance this thing needs... it needs enough to run whatever camera it has, and it needs enough to play back at least 480p60 video smoothly, and ideally 1080p60 (downscaled to the panel, which should *NOT* be 1080p), without a notable decrease in performance.
* Task-oriented UI, rather than service-oriented. Skype, for example, should plug into the messaging and telephony clients, rather than be its own app. (Think webOS Synergy, BlackBerry Hub to an extent, Windows Phone 7 People Hub)
* Emphasis on extreme battery life. Let's say that, with 8 hours of active use per day, on two Energizer E91 or Duracell MN1500 AA batteries, with a mono non-backlit screen, on LTE, it should last 24 hours. (Don't actually use alkaline AAs, this is just an example!)
Thoughts on how my ideal mobile OS works:
* Server offload of heavy tasks (like web browsing) and any background tasks that can be offloaded (GPS navigation and music playback can't be, staying connected to IRC and IM services can be), with the server optionally under your control. (Think BlackBerry Enterprise Server plus Opera Mini.)
* Simple, lightweight native applications with consistent UI
US gov't vs breastfeeding (!) Show more
US threatened nations in an attempt to get them to back down their support for a World Health Assembly resolution on the importance of breastfeeding, going so far as threatening #Ecuador with cuts in military aid and trade https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/08/politics/world-health-assembly-breastfeeding/index.html
@satchmoz "there is the risk of fragmentation with this open-source ISA"
Coming from ARM I find that just a teensy bit disingenuous. :)
@bhtooefr This! There’s a lot of hard earned optimization that’s become lost knowledge under layers of abstraction
🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️ trade take Show more
Also, Chinese-style intellectual property laws (that is, nearly non-existent ones) can make up for the lack of competition in a closed economy, by copying good ideas from elsewhere.
🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️ trade take Show more
The trade war is a good thing being done for the most stupid reasons.
Countries should focus on production for their own needs first and foremost, especially for necessities. With export markets closed, economies won't be flooded by imported goods, and it's sustainable for countries to produce for themselves (look at what the US has done to many countries and their agricultural output with cheap corn).
the div that looks different in every browser: https://codepen.io/MartijnCuppens/pen/MXojmw
mastodon: the only place where talking to yourself in public is an effective way to make friends!
Technology complain Show more
I liked that there used to be a single standard audio jack for getting audio information into and out of something, and that it was compatible with things made decades prior
And while the Bluetooth headphones are cool and I appreciate their utility, in order for them to work, they need to be charged and they work using a protocol that runs on a computer chip
open access pol Show more
paper authors sending papers on request is no substitute for a DOI indexed open access system
it's a waste of the internet for people to have to choose between spending 35 dollars a paper or waiting for a professor to get through their 1000+ unread emails and send you a copy
never mind the mh barriers in forcing someone to approach a person every single time they want to read an article
i appreciate the gesture but i'll still reach for scihub
uspol, diesel truck emissions fuckery Show more
And, it is worth noting that California's laws that require old engines be retrofitted will help counteract this, although some trucking companies will simply avoid California. And the Trump administration is trying to fight against California's authority to self-regulate emissions...
Computing, transportation, energy... really anything interesting.
Follow friends and discover new ones. Publish anything you want: links, pictures, text, video. This server is run by the main developers of the Mastodon project. Everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!