#Hashtags are great. They're not "cool" anymore, and idiots abuse them; but they enable platforms to be self-organized by the users without much tech skill.
With all of the anarchists etc. here, that kind of grass-roots understanding should be implicit.
But harassment and abuse need to be fought at the platform level.
How can we have BOTH?
1) Make hastags 1st class citizens, like posts -- eg. being able to report, block or mute them?
2) Instances blocking hashtags?
3) Auto-banning users by hashtag?
4) A downvoting system like reddit? Eg. upvote or downvote a tag to affect its trendiness?
5) Could trending tags actually *combat* abuse?
Server run by the main developers of the project It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!