I love that this is in my hometown, only 10min bike ride from my house. This space is home to the following…
* Newcastle Mens Shed, currently having a jam session
* Sparkhaus Studio, maker space and home to Burning Man / Burning Seed / arts projects
* The Share Shop, a library for tools and household goods
* Upcycle Newcastle, which runs workshops, helps on projects, and runs a material shop
* Yourfoodcollective, a local farm grocery service
* Also art spaces like The Creator Incubator
For example, through the movie Hidden Figures, they've provided a wealth of lesson and discussion material covering topics like #STEM, civil rights, cold war / space race history, and film-making: https://journeysinfilm.org/films/hidden-figures/
One of the birds on my street has learnt to imitate a car alarm, and now blurts it out in short bursts each morning.
I like to imagine he heard the alarm a few times, and was all "What the hell kind of bird is THAT?! It sounds BEAUTIFUL. I must find it. Maybe if I keep singing its call, it will come to me one day."
*wipes away a single tear*
CALLER YOU'RE THROUGH TO DOCTOR MIKE THE MEDICAL MECHANIC WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU???
Hi, first time-long time! I've been trying to construct a homemade scoliosis brace out of a bicycle frame and some empty cans, but I implanted it wrong and now I have a bunch of metal plates sticking out of my back like a stegosaurus. Should I try and remove them, or should I inject myself with some lizard DNA and see how far I can take this?
☑️ Sunny park run (being chased by #zombies!)
☑️ Sweep courtyard
☑️ Clean apartment
☑️ Hang out on Mastodon
🔲 Taxes and bookkeeping
🔲 Finish this week's work
Maybe I haven't finished hanging out on Mastodon yet. It's important to do things properly, right?
Great suggestions, team! Limoncello, lemon meringue pie, lemon curd. Now I'm hungry. 😀
If #Mastodon stabilises in the broader world, I'm wondering how we might verify news sources. Would each media org set up an instance for their reporters maybe, so we can tell them apart from imposters? I can't imagine an independently moderated "news" instance without the verification process being open to bias or misuse.
Melbournians, the weather is glorious out there today. Get out and enjoy - today’s min temperature will be tomorrow’s max. #WinterIsComing
Mastodon: *paints beautiful wall mural*
Twitter: Who's gonna buy that? You can't even transport it?
Mastodon: *does an elaborate interpretive dance in front of the mural*
Twitter: Wait, is that part of the art?
Mastodon: *group meditation chanting "awooo"*
Twitter: Ok but how do you monetize?
Mastodon: *a thousand voices sing a hymn to diversity as a million weirdos dance*
Twitter: We're, uh... we're going home now...
Mastodon: *builds space ship*
About risk profile:
- Mastodon is like email because you can't delete federated toots
- Mastodon is like twitter in that Google's search bots index it, unless your admins robot.txt it away
- Mastodon is like being a teenager because the people that own your instance can see all your private stuff
Have a talk with your admin about their policies.
By default, assume everyone will be able to read your toots forever.
INTRO TO FEDERATION:
1. "mastodon" is a piece of software that runs on a server. There's a lot of servers that run it & u can follow ppl on other servers.
2. When u follow someone from another server, your server receives their toots.
3. The federated TL is all public toots that the server receives, ie all of the toots from everyone that ppl on your server follow.
4. ERGO: if u want to see more toots in the fed TL, follow + get other ppl on your server to follow ppl from other servers!
Hmm. Maybe the old #FollowFriday might be more useful here than some other places. It could help one find new people to follow on far reaching instances.
.NET/Vue web dev, making, growing food, slow travel, music, outdoors, linguistics. Newcastle, Aus.
Mostly on firstname.lastname@example.org
Bi, CIS female, she/her
The original server operated by the Mastodon gGmbH non-profit