Soon, some venture capitalist will put $5 million into a startup that offers free fediverse accounts with unlimited storage, etc.
Unless every other instance instantly blocks such a service from Day 1, you can kiss your fediverse goodbye and say hello to a new Gmail. Once network effects kick in, they will make the rules.
It _can_ happen here but you have an opportunity to kill it before it does.
@aral Hmm, potentially a forgone conclusion, though I expect it to go like this:
1. Someone writes a very nice mastodon-like app but they license it liberally (not AGPL)
2. Someone makes a custom instance with some "cool features" which are not being upstreamed or shared
3. Lots of cool instances with cool extra features
4. Some of these instances become more commercial-centric
5. When the VCs come, already too many political connections between instance admins to make blocking possible.
@aral Sorry s/mastodon/fediverse/ I know the distinction, I'm just lazy and tend toward accessible writing over correct.
Server run by the main developers of the project It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!