Thanks to various expressions of interest & support, I've freshened my old ForthOS. It builds its own GDT/IDT, has a proper RTC handler, and all I/O is interrupt based (previously it was a polled system). On qemu it no longer pegs the host CPU at 100%. It's still free, open source, and so forth. Try the new image disk image (source included):
Get it at https://forthworks.com/retro/r/RETRO12-2020.7.tar.gz or gopher://forthworks.com/9/retro/r/RETRO12-2020.7.tar.gz (add .sig and .pub to the URL if you want to check the signature)
This is a minor release, see http://forth.works/share/95e3a6e7444ee03fdf23efbe309f8061 or
As a side note, I now have a Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/_crc to help support the ongoing development. As a result of this, Retro is now available for free in the iOS and Mac App Stores
@vertigo thanks. I'm looking forward to your video on this.
@vertigo Could you send me a link to the article?
I'm using a dvorak based layout (https://configure.ergodox-ez.com/ergodox-ez/layouts/VyQZe/latest/0) on an ergodox keyboard. I've found the full split to very helpful as I can reposition the halves as needed to keep things comfortable.
@alva I only type in English.
I just pushed a new release of my #forth system.
I've submitted a patch to the FreeBSD ports and submitted an updated iOS version to Apple for review.
Other than bug fixes, in this release I rewrote the assembler and have hand tuned assembly for a number of words in the standard library. It's smaller and faster than before.
Finished testing everything on the new OpenBSD server; everything is working now.
I'll keep probing the old one to try to figure out the cause, of the loss of networking but at least nothing was lost.
This is a case where it's nice to be running a nearly stock OS (the only extra package I need is fossil; everything else needed is either part of the OpenBSD base or written in retro forth, making it easy to setup).
I might write something to automate setup of the various cron jobs though.
@saper It stopped after a reboot this morning. I hadn't changed any system settings prior to this. I can no longer get a DHCP lease from Linode and configuring a static ip and routing also fails to let me connect to it or to make any external connections.
Fortunately I had already copied all but three of my files to the new 6.6 server, so it's not that bad. I've installed retroforth, configured inetd & cron, updated DNS, and am now running tests to make sure everything is running properly.
@kensanata I've been happier with my pu'er after adding in humidity regulation. I've not incorporated this into other teas yet. I'm planning to redo my storage setup later this month, so I might start exploring this then.
@kensanata I don't.
I store my tea in sealed metal tins, in a cabinet in a room set to a constant temperature of 18C.
For pu'er, I use metal tins, with non-sealing lids to allow breathing, and Bodeva packs to regulate the humidity in these.
I've had no problems with keeping teas this way for 6+ months (black, green, white, oolongs) to a few years (for pu'er).
I order several months worth at a time; tending towards a 4-6 month supply as I've noticed some degrading as they approach 12 months.
@nonlinear I'll make sure to do that correctly next time; thanks!
While working on my Forth this week, I rewrote the assembler in assembly, letting me fit it into my kernel so that I no longer need to inline raw machine code in the standard library.
The rewrite is a lot more efficient, reducing the memory footprint from 661 memory locations to 109.
Being able to use the assembler at any time is allowing me to hand optimize parts of my standard library of words, reducing the memory footprint and improving performance.
Programmer. Developer of Retro Forth, Gopher servers and clients, and several iOS apps. Co-founder DC Comtech.
Server run by the main developers of the project It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!