Trying to figure out how to efficiently draw semitransparent sprites in EGA. It is... not as simple as I thought. Reading the Graphics Programming Black Book chapters about fast animation and some of the methods he's describing are absurd - chapter 43 is like "if you don't mind having every sprite be 1 colour and only using 5 colours total, here's a neat trick" and no actually I do mind those constraints, that's not helpful advice
I’ve been frustrated at how difficult it is to log stuff for debugging when your only video card is currently in use, so I grabbed a null modem cable, connected my *other* 286, a Toshiba T3100e with a very dead hard drive but a working boot floppy, and wrote a dumb serial port byte-banging routine
Michael Abrash: Here’s how you reprogram the PC’s timer, but be warned! It will fuck with your system clock until it reboots! Here’s exactly what happens for this particular application and why
André LaMothe: yolo just chain your ISRs and shit will probably work out? Don’t worry about it, paste the code in, I don’t have time to explain and you don’t care. Also let’s just run all of your game logic in the timer interrupt handler, this is how multitasking works, what could go wrong
Oof! Got it. Two bugs conspired to cause a stack overflow:
* if a task was set to have its output ignored, it was leaving each character on the parameter stack. So the silent loading of the base definitions would leave a bunch of junk on the stack if there was any output. Usually there isn’t, so I didn’t notice.
* I added a definition that contained a comment before I defined the word that interprets comments, so the interpreter dumped a bunch of errors on the stack trying to figure THAT out
went to implement simple text drawing yesterday but ended up writing Jorth code to do animation lerps
managed to successfully write a word that takes five parameters on the stack, so I assume I'll be receiving some sort of Forth Programmer Certificate of Achievement in the mail soon
(Jorth still has no words that can touch anything on the stack beyond the top three values)
I implemented map saving and loading in Jorth and MAN was it slow, almost 5 seconds to load a 100x100 tilemap. So I implemented words to bulk read/write and now it’s very fast. (I am streaming off a compact flash disk, it should be!)
I’ve been noticing startup was slow, as all my Jorth source got loaded and compiled, and assumed it was the interpreter’s fault. But now I realize it’s probably actually because I’m doing unbuffered byte-at-a-time reads. Ooops.
Implemented map resizing at the Jorth console, so I can design spaces that aren’t 100x100. Unexpected side benefit of integrating a live scripting language over the serial port: I don’t have to code a UI for anything in my map editor if I don’t want to. As soon as I implement the word to do the thing, I can just type it into the console.
I also drew a few new tiles.
Uhhhhh my map loading code is slightly broken because there appears to be a weird corner case where it’s reading two bytes at the beginning of the file but then it increments the stream by three bytes? Both fread and fgetc are doing this??
Ohhh I’m not specifying the “b” flag in fopen, and the map height happened to be the carriage return character :/
@dheadshot no, MS-DOS exe using the small memory model
@dheadshot basically there's a 64kb code segment and a 64kb data segment, so all pointers can still be 16-bit. If you're calling a function by pointer it uses one segment, if you're dereferencing a pointer it uses the other.
Honestly I didn't think I was anywhere near the 64kb data limit yet, but if I shrink the static array from 512 bytes to 256 bytes the program launches again. :/
Would it be a good idea to use a separate Stack Segment to allow for more memory?
@dheadshot makes it so you can't use the address of anything on the stack as a near pointer, which I think I might occasionally do to eg. read data into a small local buffer. But I think Turbo C++ does provide the option.
@dheadshot The solution I'll likely take, rather than growing my memory model across the board, is to use farmalloc() for my large buffers. I've only got a couple of them, and they have very specific uses that I control, so I shouldn't have to worry too much about fighting with library calls that expect near pointers.
Server run by the main developers of the project It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!