* We're already off this rock with dozens of space robots who serve as our avatars across the solar system.
* Venus will kill you. I want to study it but only with robots.
* We can explore Saturn and Jupiter just fine but weak Sun does mean that nuclear power is better and that makes a mission very very expensive.
* I'd like to think that telling people about space robots contributes to mission success, so yes.
I tried to at-reply to another person's questions. For those of you who follow me, did you see that?
Having trouble trying to use Mastodon for Q and A. I want to quote-toot but can't. Can I at-reply? let's see...
This photo is a mosaic of 3 images from the left Mastcam, which has a field of view of about 15 degrees across 1200 pixels. It's a color camera (Bayer color filter). These images were of low science priority so were returned to Earth with fairly high JPEG compression to decrease their file size. I downsampled them (made the images smaller) to hide some of the compression artifacts.
It's very rare for #Curiosity to be awake before sunrise, because Mars nights are very cold and the rover doesn't have a lot of energy to spare and being awake means warming motors.
It was awake at this time to do a dry run of being awake the next morning to try to get photos of Comet Siding Spring as it passed by.
Some facts about me:
- I am a #scicomm #writer about #planetaryscience
- I ❤️ space robots
- I'm a week away from submitting a manuscript of a 400 page book about #Curiosity #Mars rover
- I will answer any question about our solar system and how we explore it as long as you're not being a jerk
- I should be writing
Half a llama
On the llama
For made my force
When you're Spine
So I pulled my beat
This is the life!
Have a surgeon
I make me a minute
I don't not the hair
I love my cable TV
Weird A.I. Yankovic
Folks who're annoyed about the inability to move to another instance without being able to take your followers with you:
"Account migration" has been a feature request on the Github issue list for quite a long time. https://github.com/tootsuite/mastodon/issues/177
It is a BIG job, but it is on the list and the devs are aware of it. It could take a long time.
Clicking through to the issue on Github and clicking "thumbs-up" and leaving a comment about your suboptimal new-user experience is really helpful.
I should be writing
Senior Editor and Planetary Evangelist, The Planetary Society. email@example.com. Pre-order my Curiosity book: http://amzn.to/2mlisaL
This page describes the mastodon.social instance - wondering what Mastodon is? Check out joinmastodon.org instead! In essence, Mastodon is a decentralized, open source social network. This is just one part of the network, run by the main developers of the project It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!
Hero image by @b_cavello