"The meaningful threat of garbage language — the reason it is not just annoying but malevolent — is that it confirms delusion as an asset in the workplace."
Molly Young on corporate garbage language:
How to migrate from one Mastodon server to another without losing followers:
1. Sign up on new server
2. On NEW server: Go to Account -> Moving FROM another account
3. Enter old account's handle
4. On OLD server: Go to Account -> Moving TO another account
5. Enter new account's handle and submit
The PS1 port of Uno, the card game, has this opening cutscene. It's inspirational. I'm being inspired right now.
twitter decentralization, in the news
Extremely pleased to have provided the closing quote for this Verge article on the Twitter decentralization announcement.
4. NES roms.
if you want hyper sentient dog scientists in the year 40,000 to be able to run your software, write it as an NES rom. trust me on this.
"Avoid Premature Optimization" by Victor Zhou https://victorzhou.com/blog/avoid-premature-optimization/
Here's something that happens way too often in the fediverse and nobody steering the ship(s) seems to have an answer for:
- user switches instances
- user sends out a "i switched instances, follow me at new account" post or two
- some followers miss these, user @ old instance is no longer in their TL
- to these followers, it just seems like the user stopped posting
"Magic numbers" by Gilles Dubuc (2018) https://calendar.perfplanet.com/2018/magic-numbers/
Pretty revealing look at the lack of scientific rigor behind a lot of web performance "best practices." Are we all really relying on a single study published in 1968?