I'm afraid most all of you are missing out on this German pastry delicacy known as "Little Mountain Peaks" (also called "mountain climber" or "shrapnel" in some parts of the country):

cocoa, buttercream, waffle floor & shortcrust mixed together, covered in dark chocolate. So yummy πŸ’•

Β· Web Β· 18 Β· 12 Β· 64


Shortcrust is a form of dough and waffle floor. Well, it's the floor of pastry waffles πŸ˜‰


Huh, really? Here's a picture of waffles:

Shortcrust is often used as a flan case / bottom for cakes.

@fribbledom How do you define a floor of a waffle then? Is it just the grid part of a waffle?

@fribbledom ooh those do sound nice, they look erm...odd - but sound like they contain all the ingredients of a good snack.

@fribbledom Didn't know we had this in Germany. πŸ€”

@DC7IA @fribbledom Hooray, I'm not the only one who obviously has never heard of this before...😳

@encarsia @DC7IA

Maybe you know them as "Hackstockkratze" or "Punschberg"? That's what they call them in Berlin. Now I'm officially running out of names for it, though πŸ˜‚

@fribbledom @DC7IA Nope and nope.
It looks like one would create this from buttercream leftovers (I have some really good cake bakers in my family but I have never seen this).

I should try to make these because I'm not very good at cutting sponge layers for cakes and they look delicious.

@tethre @fribbledom @DC7IA Taken into account that I've never seen those probably somewhere I never go...πŸ€”

Yes, this answer is not helping anybody here. :D

@encarsia @fribbledom @DC7IA yeah, i may just shred my passport, as i am *clearly* not german πŸ˜‚

@fribbledom we call those flΓΈdeboller ("cream buns") in Denmark. They used to have an extremely racist name, that I'm not going to write online.


Aren't those filled with creamy, sugary stuff? They also exist in Germany, are called "Schaumkuesse" nowadays, and also used to have that racist name.

hmm... I would try 'em, but their shape is more like a little bell πŸ”” than a mountain peak πŸ”οΈ πŸ€”

@fribbledom Okay... I've never seen those, but I want them now.
Where can I get them? A pastry shop, or shop for sweets and chocolate?
And yes, I'm from germany :D


You'll usually find them in regular bakeries and pastry shops. Let me know how you like them!

@fribbledom What's the German name? I'm planning a trip to Germany. I searched for "Kleingipfel" and "Gipfelchen" but didn't turn up anything relevant.


You'll commonly find them as "Gipfel", "Bergsteiger" or "Granatsplitter". Let me know how you like them! 😊

@fribbledom oh my, I think I need about a dozen or so. For research purposes. Yeah, research.

@fribbledom I am German and have never heard of it. What is the German name and in which region is it common?

@alays @fribbledom which would be shrapnel translated to english :blobcheeky:
In lower Franconia we call thrm "Granatsplitter".


"Gipferl", "Bergsteiger" oder "Granatsplitter".

Rather popular in the south, but I've also seen them in Berlin and Cologne.

Sign in to participate in the conversation

Server run by the main developers of the project 🐘 It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!