(Debian 10, LXDE desktop, update-alternatives are set, $BROWSER is set, Chrome is default browser but it also happened when I used Firefox (hmm, I wonder if Firefox has fixed that bug yet?))
AHAHAHAHA the open_lxde subroutine just... doesn't open a browser. So if you comment it out and replace it with the open_generic call, it works. IT WORKS
this has bugged me ever since I upgraded to Deb10.
A more correct fix is here: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/450200/xdg-open-on-debian-9-fails-to-open-browser
but apparently I didn't use the right keywords to find it the first time.
@gamehawk You know, the more details you give about this, the more I feel like I fixed this for you on Debian 9, and the upgrade must have stomped on my fix. :)
@CarlCravens I was only on Deb9 for about ten minutes, and apparently that's where the typo was introduced.
I can't remember the details of the previous issue, but I feel like it was slightly different (and that was what the $BROWSER in .bashrc was there to fix although, since it's still firefox, it clearly isn't getting called by anything now).
Server run by the main developers of the project It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!