wait i got one more. Seth McFarlane is like what if Ensign Barclay was constantly filming his weird holodeck addiction and putting it on Future Youtube to show what a cool and funny guy he was, and everyone thought this was a dope idea, and nobody stopped him. that is what this show is. lick a butt and don't enjoy it, moron
Seth McFarlane looks like the dude you least want to run into at a Trek convention. he is the dude who thinks Kirk is cool because he was a loud sleazy guy, despite not having ever watched the original series. i bet he leaves signed headshots around the studio as "tips" for makeup and catering. dude is like Tom Paris's slimier older brother who got caught trying to hack a replicator so it would print out nothing but oxycontin. fuck you Seth McFarlane. rot in hell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9sKeCE8V0 also hey while we're Talking Trek: dear Seth McFarlane, we didn't all just magically forget about Galaxy Quest. you can't just sell us on essentially the same hook but with shittier jokes, more sexism and your dumbass face smirking as you Awkward Comedy Stutter every ten seconds
Chelsea Manning is a free woman.
- "TEN YEARS BEFORE KIRK" just means we're gonna get a bunch of weird allusions to the original series in here that will likely fall flat considering how HILARIOUSLY HIGHER the production value in this is
- also, did we REALLY need to retry Enterprise. Really.
- Klingon faces look like horseshoe crab underbellies now I guess
- oh. right. CBS Access. i forgot. they could've just put "COMING SOON TO TORRENT SITES EVERYWHERE" and it'd have the same effect
- POC women as THE main characters, hell fuckin yes
- a bunch of weird-ass aliens we haven't seen yet, including "We Only Live To Know Exactly When We Die" Guy aka possibly the most goth species ever
- JESUS I FORGOT TELEVISION SHOWS CAN LOOK LIKE MOVIES NOW
- it really seems like they tried to make it its own stylistic thing rather than hitch it to the new movies, or the 90s series, or the 60s series, which: hey, that's daring and good
Would you like to see the large-scale basement we currently have on special? It's our biggest cellar.
i just feel like we could go so much further if we'd dislodge the crusty, rotten old mindset of "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" from the heart of the fantasy genre. there are stories out there that do this, but we need to PRIORITIZE them over, er, "we hope you won't NEED these pills here, Quentin."
what doesn't kill you can still fuck you up. we, as a society, need to deal with that in our media beyond being afraid to look anything less than utterly, perfectly well-adjusted + normal
slight follow-up: @itsnero and i were just talking and where i REALLY feel like The Magicians whiffed it is Q's overall relationship with mental health. from the start, Q reads as depressed and prone to disassociation, and yet the Dean at Brakebills treats his issues like they're the result of him "not fitting in". WHICH SUCKS. You're telling me psychology ISN'T something magicians would be interested in exploring? You're telling me Brakebills students WOULDN'T have mental health issues, ever?
On episode four of "The Magicians" and:
1. did we really need a "WHAT IF IT'S ALL A DREAM AND QUENTIN IS C-R-A-Z-Y" episode where all Q's classmates are patients and magic isn't real
2. did we really need to make openly queer affection the territory of either the mentally infirm (dream Eliot) or the malevolent (head Hedge Witch, dunno her name)
3. i'm all for musical numbers, but why did we have to put one in THIS episode
we haven't hit the end yet but my patience is pretty thin with this ep
update: THREE HUNDRED FANFICS ON AO3 AND TWO OF THEM, FUCKING *TWO*, ARE PENNY/ELIOT. AND ZERO FROM THE TV SHOW. QUENTIN IS A LOT OF THINGS, KIDS, BUT "A HOT PIECE OF ASS" IS PRETTY LOW ON THE DAMN LIST
i'm tired of this fandom already
THAT BEING SAID: i'm two episodes in and i like it so far. i think i like it better than what i read of the books? it's schlockier but there's less faffing around and the female characters (esp Julia!) get way more development. also Quentin is played as more obviously a total dweebaroni and maybe could stand to get out of his head EVEN WHEN ACTUALLY DEALING WITH FANTASY BULLSHIT, so: good.
also i maybe want to ship eliot and penny juuuuust a touch. don't tell anyone
i would like to talk about underrated SyFy network television program "The Magicians" on bird site but i am deadly afraid of some rando popping their head in and saying "UM ACTUALLY THAT GETS PROBLEMATIC LATER"
it's a show on television for people above age 13 that was grown in our mild-to-fairly-hazardous monoculture, folks, i've already girded my loins
i think i'm unironically on the Chung Train at this point
YES i would include the Animatrix. of COURSE i would include the Animatrix. Warts And All, that's our motto here