now and again on youtube you get recommended a video thats inexplicably from 10 years ago and its like, extremely poor quality but much nicer than anything on youtube now, itll be like some friends making a music video to their favorite song in their parents kitchen in 240p 12fps, and theyll all have extremely 2008 eye makeup, and theyre just doin it because its fun and putting it online

i feel like 10-15 years ago the web was a lot more mundane. there were less people on the internet, everyone was just someone else who was sitting at a desktop computer doing nothing. pretty much every image you saw on the web was taken on a compact digital camera in someones poorly-lit living room and then edited using microsoft paint, and then put up onto a forum a couple days later. nobody was vlogging on a skateboard. there wasnt that much to talk about. pace of life seemed slower

there just wasnt so much stuff back then. it wasnt even very long ago at all!!! whenever anything on the internet happened, which was about once every 10 days, everybody was like "ah have you seen the new thing, here let me send it to you" an dyou'd be like "haha thats cool" because it was. now everythings cool and nothings cool. i bet in another 10 years it'll've got even worse and we'll be like "ah 2019 the golden fucking age, the internet was so sedate"

i guess the internet is just now predominantly the place where stuff happens, rather than the place you take refuge from stuff happening, and i miss that

last summer i started going for 1-2 hour walks in the mornings or evenings. just along the beach or whatever. i've noticed that i find it easier to feel happy, or at least centered and calm, when i take time to deeply appreciate a small number of small things, rather than be bombarded (or bombard myself) with a large number of big, important-seeming things that i only see on a surface level. the internet used to feel like the former but now my experience is the latter, and it's inescapable!!!!!

it's funny because i remember the feeling, maybe 10 years ago, the feeling of just wanting lots of content, lots of updates, i wanted to be jacked in there, into the internet, i wanted all the updates, RSS updates, IRC rooms buzzing, i wanted that feeling of connection to the world, so that when whatever happened i'd be the first to see it. i felt so alive!! so ONLINE! but in reality nothing ever even happened! now these days, everythings happening all the fuckin time and i HATE it

me: i wish blogging still practically existed so that i didnt have to write 7 long toots

you: what are you talking about! blogging still exists!! start your own blog--

me: yeah but nobody reads them!! for every 10 people saying start a blog theres 990 people who wont ever click a link ever in their life. the non-link-clickers

you: --this is my favourite cms its free softrware and its called gleepblorp. its written in rust so its very fast

@jk i wonder if that phenomenon's something that could be leveraged, though. like, building a slower-moving, less-densely-populated subculture of the 1% of link-clickers, letting the remaining 99% of non-link-clickers stay in their overstimulating corporate-dominated hellnet?


@lifning i actually wrote some kinda manifesto/spec document for a "slow social network" a couple of years ago and then literally a month later i enthusiastically joined mastodon which was like literally the opposite

Sign in to participate in the conversation

Server run by the main developers of the project 🐘 It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!