Unsolved Problems in Consumer Computer Science:
- transferring files between two computers using a single passive cable
- separating security updates and feature updates, allowing users to install the former without installing the latter
- opening a webpage containing a video without autoplaying it
- opening a webpage without it throwing 6 different popups at you over the course of the first 30 seconds
@Gargron I’m getting desktop layout for Mastodon on my iPad. Is this a bug?
Tilly settling in to her new home.
[Tilly is a tortoiseshell cat with white paws, face and throat. She is flopped on the carpet by a door.]
@cassolotl Oops, I didn't mean to reply from this instance!
Although, I have seen rumours that Alienware got Threadripper overclocked to 3.8GHz on all cores so single thread won't be much slower than a Ryzen 7 1800x.
Giving Alienware an exclusive on AMD Threadripper (at least among large manufacturers) seems like a really strange decision. Threadripper is meant to be for workstations, the only "gaming" feature is more PCIe lanes for more graphics cards. https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/06/alienware-e3-threadripper-area-51/
The mastodon stages:
1. new users flow in and are amazed and/or flummoxed by the UI and its affordances
2. some users stay, finding that they rather enjoy the aforementioned affordances, and the overall lack of twitter shenanigans
3. suddenly, you discover you have things to say on the nature of sexuality and interpersonal relationships that you never knew you were uncomfortable talking about until you came here
4. there will be hugs, for those who want or need them
Hey to everyone who is new and registered their account on mastodon.social:
Welcome! I hope you have a good time here!
If you find that harrassment is too common or isn't dealt with thoroughly enough, you can register on another, safer server with a code of conduct.
⚠ Mastodon is not anti-Nazi. Many instances on Mastodon are anti-Nazi. Anyone can run an instance, including Nazis.
This is why your choice of instance matters.
Just a heads-up from having lived through many many waves of new users: Nazis etc. will probably try to join the platform over the next couple of days when they see how much fun we're having. Don't let them drive you away. In about a week or so their instances will all get blocked and they'll be banned from any reputable servers and things will go back to normal, it just takes admins a few days to sort things out and figure out what's what.
Ugh! This is horribly truthy.
"High Tory vote amongst over 70s is at least partly explained by mortality rate inequality between rich & poor"
So over 70s that voted Tory don't care about NHS destruction because the ones still alive have all gone private.
A triumph of curry over adversity
Server run by the main developers of the project It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!