On the positive side though, so far the new disk works flawlessly :)

Show thread

Turns out Dirt Rally 2 contains a 9GB data file, so there goes the idea of just using a single large FAT32 partition. πŸ™„ (Leaving its 109GB total on the main drive is not really an option)

Show thread

The spares have arrived and two SSDs are now installed 😎 Moving on to reassembly, testing and partitioning / making space on the main SSD.

Show thread

The good news: I found my box of computer screws. The bad news: There's no ridiculously tiny NVMe screw in it. πŸ™„
Time to order spares. πŸ™

Show thread

Turns out the screw to fix the NVMe drive in place is missing. If only I knew where I put those screws two years ago πŸ™ˆ

Show thread

With some games taking up 60 to almost 120GB *each* these days, it's no surprise that has happened:

By the way, I haven't introduced myself yet 😱

Hello Fediverse! πŸ‘‹ My name is Lucas and I'm a student of computer science at HTW Dresden.

My main interests are software engineering, music and photography, about which I may toot here from time to time.

I'm also a volunteer contributor at @codeberg where I'm mainly working on the new documentation site at the moment.

I speak German, English and Dutch, as well as Rust, C/C++ and JavaScript (+ a bunch of others).

My linux-powered music production corner. Very happy to no longer be dependent on Windows for this 😎

After experimenting with JACK and zynaddsubfx yesterday, I was curious about music production on using commercial DAWs. So today I tried to install and I'm very delighted to say that it worked flawlessly. I didn't even have to configure JACK or set up my MIDI keyboard. It "just works" and I'm very happy with this!

And that concludes the .
The result of effectively about 10 hours of work is a very basic, unpolished game with pretty terrible code quality and likely full of bugs. But that doesn't really matter - what matters is that is was a fun and challenging way to spend the weekend, way out of my neatly unit-tested clean-code comfort zone :)

Feel free to have a look at all of BrΓΆselstein's GPLv3-licensed glory and grab your own copy on
codeberg.org/lhinderberger/bro

Show thread

After modifying the audio initialization to use larger buffers it now more or less works on the Pi, although I was only able to test it under the experimental GL driver. It's even barely playable. 😜

Show thread

It took some time, but updates and toolchain are now installed, the game is compiled and i3wm is running. Next up is trying to run the game now - fingers crossed! 🀞

Show thread

Adding sound effects took a lot more time than I expected. That means most visual improvements that I had planned won't make it before midnight. Let's see how much polishing is possible in that last half hour of

Show thread

With Collision detection now implemented, BrΓΆselstein is for the first time playable.
I think I'll spend the last three hours of on some polishing. Next up: Sound effects πŸ”Š

Show thread

I haven't had much time to continue earlier today, but now I'm back for πŸš€ !
Collision detection still needs some work, but I hope I can finish it within the next hour.

Show thread
Show more
Mastodon

Server run by the main developers of the project 🐘 It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!