Prepare to win the lottery
Success as a voiceover is a matter of practicing daily, caring about people, sharing what you learned and teaching what you know.
But as voice actor you’re a solo business owner as well. You’re setting business goals and envisioning yourself in a particular place working with particular people on a particular project and receiving appreciation for that.
For example: You dream to work with Morgan Freeman in a studio in Los Angeles for an animation film and you receive a nomination for a Voice Arts Award. Out of that nomination you receive so many job requests from good clients that you’re feeling swamped.
Imagine this just happened.
Your dream came true. Lottery won! Yes, you. Not a person from just another city you have never heard of.
But you’re getting anxious and stressed. There are so many options that you could do with that money…
- Quit the day job and start traveling the world
- Starting to behave like an asshole because now you have dough in the paw
- Let the world know how lucky you are having won the lottery and making clear that others are not as lucky as you and that they should feel bad about it and envy you
- Get that BMW… (I don’t actually know anything about cars)
- Manage to finally face your early midlife crisis which makes you end up buying that Rock ‚n‘ Roll guitar and a recording studio (because you always wanted to be a rockstar and the frontman of a band admired by everyone - although you’re a solo band, with the „bandmate“ feature of Logic Pro X you at least have a virtual friend playing drums with you - thank doG that you got all that money to buy friends)
- Breaking up with your partner because now „you can get whoever you want“. There was no other reason for you to break up. Money makes sexy, right?
- Getting wasted every day because you’re on top of the mountain and living la vida loca is just what you do. Unfortunately, now every day is always a „high“ and when everything is a high you’re on a plateau and nothing is a highlight anymore. You’re at the top of the iceberg - but you’re now also closer to the sun…
You get the idea.
An unprepared mind will just act like a Tasmanian devil in the suit of Louis Litt.
Instead, consider your dream come true. Fill the gaps:
Today, xx / xx /20xx, I, _________, achieved my goal which is_________. Yes, I really made it.
Write it in text document or on a piece of paper. Make sure it’s always available to you. It’s your dream *goddammit*
To help you internalize it, read it after you got up. Every day. Until you’ll have accomplished the goal you’ll have plenty of time. The longer it takes the more preparation time you have. Who said that accomplishing things should happen fast?!
Consider your dream came true and now let reality catch up which means: Work, take a break, be patient, repeat.
What’s you lottery win?
Server run by the main developers of the project It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!