If the server is working correctly, you shouldn't lose the history. It will make a new room with whatever version you "upgrade" to and invite the current members to it, then it will put a link to the old room history at the top and in the room's advanced settings section. Hope this helps
That message is odd, since version 6 is now the default for synapse https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse/blob/6600f0bd572500f9b85bfeed424eff0300e2fa59/synapse/config/server.py#L71
Want all the gory details of how we hosted the world's largest free/open source conference #FOSDEM21 via Matrix? We just posted the full writeup at https://matrix.org/blog/2021/02/15/how-we-hosted-fosdem-2021-on-matrix. Huge thanks to @FOSDEM@twitter.com for putting their faith in Matrix & to everyone who helped make it a success! 🎉❄️🎆
486 stepper motors, 86,000 LEDs and a 5 channel granular synth engine (written by @email@example.com no less, in @firstname.lastname@example.org of course).
This Week in Matrix is available now! All kinds of news, all related to a certain #decentralised communication platform called #Matrix! Plus watch Matrix Live for a demonstration of P2P Matrix over Bluetooth Low Energy! https://matrix.org/blog/2021/02/12/this-week-in-matrix-2021-02-12 #twim
- #Pinecone is a p2p overlay network with a design like Yggdrasil as its starting point, but it will explore using source routing and virtual ring routing to mitigate the performance issues that can occur in Yggdrasil when nodes are unstable
- Explore gossiping and store-and-forward to avoid the performance issues of full-mesh (what matrix servers all are today)
- Portable Identities - MSC2787 https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-doc/pull/2787
- libp2p+dendrite as a single binary run locally
- libp2p+dendrite compiled to WASM and run in-browser
- Yggdrasil+dendrite as a single binary
- Element iOS P2P: Pinecone+dendrite run natively on iOS whenever app is open, capable of discovering other nodes over AWDL
Here are some vital stats from the http://fosdem.org Matrix server from Day 2 of @FOSDEM@twitter.com, fresh from Grafana...
Activity on the http://matrix.org homeserver has been up 5x over the last few days, and we started to get dangerously close to the ceiling on the Synapse master process again... so we just fixed it with more workers (as per https://matrix.org/blog/2020/11/03/how-we-fixed-synapses-scalability)!
Matrix released Synapse v1.24.0 today, which includes a security fix
curl 7.74.0 is released with experimental HSTS support. The 196th curl release has 107 bug-fixes, including three fixed vulnerabilities. 46 contributors (22 mew) made this in 56 days, out of which 22 were authors (8 new). https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2020/12/09/curl-7-74-0-with-hsts/
@madargon Firefox containers are great. You might like @stoically 's Temporary Containers extension. It can be set to open each new tab in a new container that gets cleared after closing.
I've read that firejail can be used alongside apparmor. What I like about firejail is it's easy to quickly check running something outside of it if it breaks anything, and with the default profile it only lets Firefox see its settings and ~/Downloads, but nothing else on the filesystem.
Server run by the main developers of the project It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!