Verifying that this https://mastodon.hasameli.com/@Path is me. Will Also post to my birb account shortly. Expect follows soon
hey @munin trying to register on your instance I get an invalid email addy error on both my personal domain and gmail. can you whitelist my personal please?
@path I've spawned another instance, and IMO the biggest thing to do would be to normalize the use of diverse instances - remember the old IRC days? Everyone had 'their' server they went to, and - barring netsplits - that's how they talked?
ok so my understanding is that this instance is having issues keeping up with the influx. What can be done to best assist with this? Simply temporarily using another instance? Spawning another instance? Helping the dev with bugfixes? Server fees? Myself & countless others within the infosec community would love to see this not only survive but to grow. The concept & execution is what has drawn us all here & in our own ways we each are fully capable of contributing.
The Twitter Glacier started to melt, resulting in a giant flood that killed 99.7% of Twitter's population.
A bunch of shitposting smartasses are the core group of survivors, who holed up in a cave or something.
It's now up to them, to rebuild society; the Fediverse. Luckily, like after any good disaster, everyone is nice to each other for a day or 2.
@acw I jumped ship because of the performance issues, thinking it would be temporary, but I'm happier here because I can actually see the whole Fediverse. the local admin doesn't block other instances (including GnuSocial ones) which Gargron does.
@hacked @path @Gargron @Glytch To do so "cleanly", you should use the production guide: https://github.com/tootsuite/mastodon/blob/master/docs/Running-Mastodon/Production-guide.md
4. A mailserver, or at least access to some organization's ability to send mail. The built in docs said mailgun; my mailinabox instance was happy to send mail on mastodon's behalf.
5. Significant sysadmin experience.
6. Understanding of dependency hell and how to resolve it.
To actually start one of these instances, you will need ahead of time:
1. a server, -probably- running one of the linuces. I was going to try to do the docker-on-freebsd thing but that did not turn out well at all.
2. DNS access - at least a subdomain that you control, and the ability to point the A record over to the server
3. A certificate authority. Letsencrypt is nice! but any will do just fine.
I say this not out of vanity but because this process is, frankly, a mess, and the documentation does not describe several gotchas that show up in the deployment process - nor does it explicate fully your prereqs.
Lurking in your cybers ¤ Infosec ¤ Lock Sport ¤ Research ¤ Malware Padawan ¤ Hacker of stitches ¤ #HumanZoo ¤ Sh!tposting goddess ¤ twitter.com/cyberpathogens
The original server operated by the Mastodon gGmbH non-profit