Considering upgrading my mousing surface...
from oven liner on marble tile, to BBQ grill mat on tile. 😀 https://mastodon.social/media/syDc6qOQzwMZjvt5ZH0
So, (did the first step of) converting an old bathroom exhaust fan into a soldering station fume extractor. Added a cable, put it on a base, and put a big beefy switch on the side.
And, now that I have at least the wiring done, part of me thinks I should have used a 2-gang box and stuck a receptacle on the switch too. Plug in the soldering iron, and I'd have to turn on the exhaust to turn on the iron. Hmm... Thoughts, elephantverse?
Late late follow-up: looks like it was some kind of USB 3 compatibility thing, based on the strange dmesg output I searched. Not sure if re enumeration due to Caterina bootloader is the cause, or if the keyboard boot hid descriptor is the confusion (since I guess it's a bit unorthodox by design), or what...
There are more weird USB compatibility issues out there than I had realized.
And, yes, I did use it plugged into an Android phone using a USB-OTG adapter. What was I supposed to do? 😛
Actually, it didn't work on my Chromebook annoyingly. Stuck LEDs like I still had dried caps on the controller (characteristic failure of M2). Dunno if it's an OS issue - dmesg looks fine tho - or a power issue - but is my phone really driving more voltage out USB than a chromebook?
One thing I didn't bring: voltmeter. Ah well. Good try.
Ugh. I just interrupted a woman in tech 3 times without being conscious of it. I am disappoint. *hangs head in shame*
Telecommuting for a small company apparently doesn't give me enough practice in defeating implicit bias and tech-bro-tendencies.
Not asking for public forgiveness, I just need to own my sins publicly.
Why, yes, I am flying with an IBM Model M2 keyboard and a handbuilt PS2-USB converter for it in my carryon. Doesn't everyone? 😉
(credit where credit due: converter running TMK firmware, with keymap modified to turn Caps Lock into "Windows" key. I just modified the keymap, compiled it, and soldered the thing together.)
ok, well, it didn't fully work on the first try (silly insulation displacement splices weren't displacing anything), and sadly the jacks on my bench power supply cracked off incidental to testing, but got it working!
Bench supplies (or really, anything besides an actual tow vehicle) are definitely the way to test/troubleshoot trailer wiring.
Now I just need to repair my power supply...😢
Oh boy, my least favorite kind of wiring this morning: Trailer wiring.
It and similar "let's use this metal frame as our negative conductor" wiring (cars usually aren't as bad as trailers but grounds/negative can still foul things up easily) can be such a pain. Let's hope this one works right the first time when I finish.
Server run by the main developers of the project It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!