Facebook acquires OpenStreetMap partner Mapillary -
Is it basically this?
1. set up a for-profit company
2. tell everyone it's a "collaborative", "open data" project
3. partner with a non-profit to earn brownie points & attention
4. train up your models and develop your tech based on crowdsourced data you got people to willingly upload
5. sell yourself to Evil Corp for $$$
6. shut down the open API, minimise and hamper any community efforts, maximise profits
#openstreetmap never stops impressing me!
In the area where I live, where there is almost no data on Google Maps (took 2 years for them to put our house on the map), OSM has lots of details, such as ski trails and football fields.
See image, comparing OSM to Google Maps:
Using #LibreOffice Writer for work for the first time and I adore it, it's so much lighter and more responsive than MS Word without the weird keyboard shortcut bugs that made working with Word on Mac a low-grade nightmare. Autocomplete doesn't work quite the way I'm used to though, I have to type Enter after typing the replaced string which I refuse to believe is the way it's supposed to work, and deleting the newline is very annoying.
Procedural cityscapes creation: Openstreetmap import in Unity and Houdini Engine
(submitted by liotier)
Wow. I knew Autodesk's business practices were despicable but they've managed to sink even lower in the few years I've stopped following the proprietary CAD field.
So the entire architecture, engineering, and construction industry literally wrote an open letter complaining about proprietary software and monopolistic behaviour in #Autodesk.
It's time for #OpenSource to step in.
Dabbler in the various. Author of http://thinkmoult.com/
Server run by the main developers of the project It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!