Glad you asked!
1. Pages load twice as fast
2. Laptop battery lasts longer
3. My privacy isn't invaded by 50 different douchebro Silicon Valley companies
4. Your fucking site doesn't slow down my computer to a crawl and I can actually read your fucking articles
@thomasfuchs I currently only have access to LTE at the moment so adblock has been a huge help. I don't think I could even stand to most load pages without it.
@thomasfuchs reminders that advertisers deserve gulags, gas chambers, or, ideally, gas gulags
yes, ALL advertisers
@thomasfuchs i think "douchebro" is now my new favorite term
@thomasfuchs 5. You're mitigating the #1 insertion vector for malicious software nowadays
@thomasfuchs ain' that the truth?!
@thomasfuchs "Do you imply that many companies may go bankrupt? Yup, that's part of the plan!"
5. My Mobile Data isn't drained before the end of the month.
6. I don't need to close several screen-filling ads and get redirected to nsfw-sites.
7. My attention is not distracted from your article by flashing, animated ads that try to sell me irrelevant content (but relevant ads would not be any better).
For me, the ethics in advertising are:
- No animations
- No bright colors / contrasts
- No interference with content
- No nsfw content
- No tracking
- No spoofing of OS / Browser dialogues ("update"-/ "AntiVirus"-scam)
- No unethical content (scam-sites, viruses etc.)
Maybe the ads on explainxkcd.com can be called ethic: https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/explain_xkcd:Advertise_Here
@thomasfuchs V. good.
My own earlier take:
Forbes asks: Why do programmers hate advertising so much?
@thomasfuchs It's absolutely ridiculous how many ads and tracking there are, especially on news sites. I haven't set up PiHole yet but I heard that as much as 50% of their traffic was cut because they were just ads and tracking. Fuck out of here.
@thomasfuchs Running NoScript is fun too. It's crazy how much 3rd party stuff everyone has on their site.
@thomasfuchs screenshot of a web page with a red banner reading: "It appears you are currently using Ad Blocking software. What are the consequences?"
Server run by the main developers of the project It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!