#Rust seems to have grown an individualist community, with all its tiny packages hosted in a non-curated repo, with its rejection of copyleft, and with its disregard of #FreeSoftware “community standards” developed by distro folks over the years.
I feel that introducing Rust right into once collectively-developed code bases at the core of GNU/Linux will have unpredictable and detrimental effects.
But do those emissions from streaming media matter? Here are some more figures:
- Watching 3 hours HD 1080p video per day, all year round, results in about 100 kg CO2e. A typical UK car will have emitted the same after driving 700 km.
- Listening 3 hours per day to streaming music results in about 2 kg CO2e per year. A typical UK car will have emitted the same after driving 14 km.
- A 10 km daily commute is about 5000 km per year, or about 700 kg CO2e per year.
- Finally, manufacturing of a 1TB hard disk results in about 200 kg CO2e. You can store about 1000 hours of HD 1080p video on such a disk.
- Every person breathes out about 300 kg CO2 per year.
- All humans breathing is about 5% of the world's total CO2 emissions.
3. I'm not sure we're gonna be able to fix any of this so long as we exist under a wage system where work is required for _survival_?
4. Maybe we literally actually need to start forming old-school guilds of developers and using that to "sell" labor instead of being employees?
Thanks to all the guests on our podcast, “How to Fix the Internet.” These conversations with some of the leading minds in law and technology help us explore creative solutions to some of today’s biggest tech challenges, and we couldn’t fix it without you. https://howtofixtheinternet.org
This week in Linux Phones: Android 12 coming to PinePhone, NemoMobile 0.7, Ubuntu Touch OTA 20, postmarketOS on the Pocket P.C., and more!
When I was a kid, i dreamt of:
- space travel: now owned by billionaire dickeads + the military;
- robots: now owned by Boston Dynamics, Google + the military;
- computers: now owned by Google + the military;
It took me a while to figure that my kid's dream was mostly dictated by imperialist, expansionist, extractivist and militarist propaganda.
Hope generations will dream of soil, funghi, insects, nutrients, species and their beautiful interlocked complexity. so much cooler than computers!
"You must be bananas to use Rust now."
Yeah, and go never actually went open-source and constantly have bad ideas on how "break compatibility" actually is (not to mention, it works fine if you Google, and only there).
And Python had Guido jump out and the steering council seems focused on what only will make them "different" from previous version.
And C is dead in the water, basically.
And C++ became an esoteric language in 2017.
And Java is stuck in time, no matter how many versions Oracle tries to push.
So what are you going to use? Scala, which is full of toxic people? Haskell? Zim?
Phil Smith：萊豬公投：貿易談判真的不簡單 – 思想坦克｜Voicettank
Run UNIX On Microcontrollers With PDP-11 Emulator – Privacy Now https://privacynow.eu/2021/11/20/run-unix-on-microcontrollers-with-pdp-11-emulator/
This is the instruction set of the TrueType machine. https://developer.apple.com/fonts/TrueType-Reference-Manual/RM05/Chap5.html
"What is your favorite CPU architecture?"
Server run by the main developers of the project It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!