If you have an s-pen, you can hover with that
long tap the item so the context menu pops up. Click outside it so it disappears, the hover popup may also have popped up behind it and still be there. (Works sometimes in Friendica)
in some circumstances you can tap just long enough for it not to be a click (short tap), but short enough not to be a right click (long tap), but it still brings up the hover popup. (Works sometimes in Pleroma)
if the thing you wanted to see was alt text (image description), in some browsers like Chrome it will show on top of the context menu. So long tap... If the text is not fully shown, tap on the text and it expands.
Okay, if that's not working for you, try just copying the address of the person you want to follow, then paste it into the search box within Mastodon.
When you search for an address, it will bring up a profile you can follow.
This works whether you're logged in with apps or the website.
Any reason to join the #fediverse is a good one. For microblogging, join #mastodon. Video creator? Join #peertube! Into pictures? Join #pixelfed! Into books? Join #bookwyrm! Do you organise events? Join #Mobilizon!
You can subscribe to all of those services from one account. It's like following Instagram (Zuck), YouTube (Brin and Page) and Goodreads (Bezos) accounts from Twitter (Musk)!
New people, welcome to Mastodon and the Fediverse!
Here's how to get started:
2. Find out your Mastodon/Fediverse address so you can share it with friends (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107248252715651564)
3. Invite people to join you on here by telling them to go to https://joinmastodon.org and click on "Get Started". It doesn't matter if they join a different server because the servers talk to each other (here's a bit more of an explanation https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107021461185874594)
4. Find out what the Fediverse is (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107044096139091624)
5. Find out why Mastodon being on so many different servers/instances is a really good thing (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107083735491993183)
6. If you see anything nasty, you can report it to your friendly server admin (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/106540152842368591)
7. You can (sort of) verify your account if you own a website (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/106274105538953001)
If you have any questions, @ me or DM me!
Posting about actresses and tv series I'm a fan of. Some tech and politics in between.
The original server operated by the Mastodon gGmbH non-profit