London adventure today
12 Things Everyone Should Understand About Tech
- by Anil Dash
1. Tech is not neutral.
2. Tech is not inevitable.
3. Most people in tech sincerely want to do good.
4. Tech history is poorly documented and poorly understood.
5. Most tech education doesn’t include ethical training.
6. Tech is often built with surprising ignorance about its users.
7. There is never just one single genius creator of technology.
8. Most tech isn’t from startups or by startups.
9. Most big tech companies make money in just one of three ways.
10. The economic model of big companies skews all of tech.
11. Tech is as much about fashion as function.
12. No institution has the power to rein in tech’s abuses.
Information wants to be free.
But potable water, nutritious food, clean air, habitable shelter, elements-protective clothing, life saving and improving medicine, and time, precious, precious time want to be just as free.
Farewell Steven Hawking. Such a huge contribution to science.
Next he will be playing poker with Newton, Einstein and Data on the holodeck.
So uh… if anyone knows of any UX Design job openings, I really need work right now.
Drupal Camp London day 2
Anyway, on bus to Uckfield hoping it doesn’t get jammed.