Let's give this a second try.
I'm Matt, I front a #punk/#rock/#grunge band called Hearse Pileup.
I like #oss software and #creativecommons media. I'm interested in getting more involved in the #squat scene, specifically supporting activists with my music. I don't see enough #livemusic and #london scene is dying.
The Kabochas have had a bit of a rough ride; the ones in pots have been fighting some kind of mildew and wilt. I plan on re-potting them to see if that helps. Meanwhile the one that's been planted in the ground is taking over the garden!
Many fruit have shrivelled on the vine as the plant has matured, however I now have a couple that look like they're going to hang around!
Any advice welcomed on treatment.
The chillis are doing ok, I'm impressed by the flavour. I think they're suffering from not being cut back before being overwintered. Many are spindly and defoliated. The most healthy of them are the ones that got injured and cut back.
I haven't harvested anything from my serrano pepper yet, but last years' crop from the same plant was disappointingly mild in the spice department. I'm going to wait for at least one of these to turn red and see what happens.
Garden update! My tomatillos are starting to really bear fruit. The most amazing thing is how resilient these little blighters are. They've been blown over by the wind, chewed up by snails, had bit fall off as a result...
The bits that were knocked off the plants were dutifully put in water, grew roots, and were repotted meaning that from 18 seeds I've now got a yield of 20-21 healthy plants!
So I've taken to some doing a small manageable set of reps for a specific exercise every hour for now as it's a little more manageable to fit into a work day. The downside is I'm only really training one area of the body atm.
I got a pull up bar yesterday and started a 6 reps every hour... I'm now at five. I'm aching in places I've never ached before 😆
Hey, so I've just discovered I've missed my 1 year #MastoAnniversary. It was on 11th August last year that I joined, as part of the Aug18 Birdsite exodus.
1 year - 🎉 🎈
some surprising sustainability
* Growing almonds for almond milk damages ecosystems and uses a *lot* of water. 80% of the world's almonds come from California, where severe droughts can be a problem
* Soy farming drives deforestation in South America. Tofu can have twice the carbon footprint of chicken
* Fish populations are dynamic. Sustainable fishing leaves land open for reforestation
* Bioplastics are not necessarily better than recyclable plastics like PET
* Industrial cooking is more efficient than home cooking. Tinned tomatoes, chick peas, etc can be a good option
* Cling film is plastic, and plastic is not good. But if you use it carefully, you can prevent food waste, which is worse. Beeswax wrapping is ideal
* Leather can last over a decade, and is biodegradable. Fake leather is made from short lived plastic
* Cotton production is energy intensive. A cotton bag needs to be used 149 times to be more carbon efficient than plastic. Get a good one. Use it often
(Could I get a boost @GwenfarsGarden? I know you're connected a pretty big gardening network! 😅 )
Anyone have experience growing #padron #chillies? They're not meant to be spicy (well maybe 1 in 20), but I bought some seeds from a garden stall in Barcelona that seem to almost exclusively hot chillies. They're also more... balloon shaped? Than the padron plant I received from a fellow gardener (which also is not spicy). They look kind of like halfway between padrons and habaneros... any ideas what might be going on?
Gardening update! @alice_swaggen just sent me some progress on my #tomatillos and #kabocha #pumpkins. We've beenhaving a problem with the fruit turning yellow and rotting on the vine, but this big boi looks like he might hang around!
The tomatillo fruit are finally closing back up their paper lanterns to mature; getting excited now!
I have just found out that aerial reforestation is a thing
lol, this video still gives me chills:
@nikoheikkila Hi from dev.to! 👋😀
Frontman of Hearse Pileup, open source and creative commons advocate. Formerly a member of the sukey.io project.
Server run by the main developers of the project It is not focused on any particular niche interest - everyone is welcome as long as you follow our code of conduct!