Reminder, to myself and whoever needs it: Privacy is the power to selectively reveal oneself to the world.
Source: A Cypherpunk's Manifesto https://www.activism.net/cypherpunk/manifesto.html
If you think that understanding the world is a worthwhile cause, you can help by providing knowledge to the Tor metrics timeline.
Hi. Here's my favourite online service: Draw an iceberg and see how it will float.
lifehack for cis people
Having trouble with pronouns? Try this one weird trick:
When you misgender someone, and anyone takes the time to correct you, say "Thank you." This will help you take the correction gracefully, and remind you to appreciate that someone believes you want to get others' pronouns right.
Plus, when you develop positive associations with those corrections (instead of shame), it makes it so much easier for your brain to accept the information!
Our client Christopher David, a US Navy veteran, asked federal agents in Portland why they weren’t upholding their oath to the Constitution.
They beat and gassed him in response.
He’ll now have to get his answer in court.
I was notified that @tateisu's Mastodon app "Subway Tooter" has received a warning from the Google Play Store citing user-generated content that "incites discrimination".
A Mastodon app does not host or promote any content. The user types the address to connect to. The responsibility of moderating resides with that server. So unless Google is going to drop Chrome, Firefox and Opera from its platform, this is completely out of line.
Source in Japanese:
Disturbing reports that Google Play is threatening to kick out Mastodon apps. See:
App stores have a track record of acting capriciously & are also easy targets for gov't censors (including Trump). This is why alternatives like @fdroidorg are so important for user freedom.
If unfamiliar: F-Droid is a free & open source app you can use to install other Android apps, with focus on free & open source software. Get it here:
PrivChat with @torproject tomorrow at 17:00UTC https://kushaldas.in/posts/privchat-with-tor-2020-08-28.html remember to join in
6. Border Externalisation: outsourcing border controls and surveillance
7. Biometrics Processing: a feast of databases
8. Facial Recognition: making surveillance frictionless
9. Artificial Intelligence: your fate in the hands of the system
10. Private Companies: when the border is a good business
1. Data Sharing: turning public officials into border guards
2. Mobile Phone Extraction: your phone is fair game
3. Social Media Intelligence: what does a Facebook like say about you?
4. Predictive Policing: a feedback loop that reinforces racial bias
5. Lie Detectors: security on scientifically dubious grounds
10 threats to migrants and refugees
tiny-curl 7.72.0 is here. Now also ported to the Micrium OS. https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2020/08/27/tiny-curl-7-72-0-micrium/
Chromium’s impact on root DNS traffic